Italian Cream Cake Recipe
You'll love this
Italian cream cake recipe!
1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon baking soda
5 eggs (that have been separated)
2 cups sugar (granulated)
1/2 cup of butter that has been softened
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
2 cups of all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 (3-ounce) can sweetened coconut
Cream Cheese Frosting:
12 ounces of softened cream cheese
6 tablespoons of butter that has been softened
24 ounces confectioners' sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
1. Warm up the oven to 350F.
Oil three 9-inch cake tins and line the bottom with baking parchment (or wax
2. Blend the baking soda and buttermilk
3. Beat egg whites with a beater at high speed until they become stiff.
4. Now add granulated sugar,
shortening and butter and blend at medium speed till it becomes light. Put in
egg yolks, one by one, mixing well.
5. Put in buttermilk/baking soda mixture, alternating it with the flour. Add the
vanilla, stirring it in well. Fold the egg whites into the mixture. Blend the
coconut in and then put the mixture into the prepared cake tins.
6. Cook in the oven for around 20 minutes (possibly slightly less). Like many other
cakes, this one will be ready when a toothpick inserted into the center can be
7. Let the cake cool in the pans for about 10 minutes, then take it to finish the
cooling process on a wire rack.
8. To make the frosting, mix
cream cheese and butter; blend at moderate speed till it becomes fluffy. Lower
the blender speed; and combine confectioners’ sugar and vanilla. Add the
pecans now while stirring.
9. Spoon frosting in between the layers, sides and top of the cake. Keep the cake in the
It has been said that this cake tastes best if it is not eaten until it has
chilled for 24 hours!
Hey, we know that the tasty dessert won't last that long at your house, but
you might want to save a good chunk to try to see what it tastes like after 24
hours in case you prepare it for a dinner party at a later date.
Return from Italian cream cake recipe to the recipes page
Go to home page
If you like this Italian Cream Cake recipe, please share it!