Authentic Victoria Sponge Cake
by Bain Goodrich
Authentic Victoria Sponge Cake Recipe:
• 4oz butter (110g) at room temperature (put it in the microwave)
• 4oz caster sugar (110g)
• 2 large eggs (also at room temperature)
• 4oz (110g) self raising flour, sifted
• Vanilla Essence
1. Cream butter and sugar together.
2. Beat eggs together with a fork in a separate bowl. Add, with vanilla, to butter/sugar mixture VERY slowly so it doesn’t curdle.
3. Sift flour into mixture SLOWLY and fold it in with a big spoon so that you keep all of the air in the mix. Be careful because it can get all pasty otherwise.
4. The final mix should drop from a spoon easily – if not, add some hot water.
5. Bake in two 7” round pans at 325 degrees F for 25 minutes (or until toothpick comes out clean).
Fill center with good jam and dust the top with icing sugar. Enjoy with tea and good company.